· 1 lb salmon fillet, cooked, either poached, grilled, or gently fried, and cooled to at least room temperature
· 2 celery stalks - finely chopped
· 1/2 red onion - peeled, finely sliced
· 1 Tbsp of capers (strain out the pickling juice)
· The juice of 1 lemon (regular lemon, not Meyer lemon)
· 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
· 2 Tbsp fresh dill - chopped
· Salt and freshly ground pepper
· 12 ounces pink salmon, canned and drained or fully cooked fresh
· 1 cup dry gluten-free breadcrumbs
· 2 large organic eggs
· 1/2 red bell pepper [yield: 1/3 cup] *see note
· 2 green onions
· 1/4 cup fresh parsley
· 2 tbsp fresh dill
· 1.5 tbsp lemon juice
· 2 tbsp coconut oil
« In the bowl of your food processor, add eggs and whip on low for 1 minute. Add red pepper, green onion, parsley, dill, and lemon juice. Pulse for a couple of seconds to chop the pepper and breakup the herbs.
« Add salmon and breadcrumbs, pulsing quickly. If the mixture is too dry, add a bit more breadcrumbs. Form the mixture into 2 inch patties.
« Heat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon patties and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Once complete, place on a kitchen towel-lined plate.
FRESH TARTER SAUCE
· 1/4 cup homemade mayo
· 1 dill pickle, finely chopped
· 1 tbsp fresh dill
· 1/4 tsp dried parsley
· 2 tbsp lemon juice
· 1 tsp Dijon mustard
· 5-10 fresh chives, finely choppedGRAIN FREE SALMON CAKES
· 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
· 1 large clove of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
· 1-2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh chives (set 1 Tsp aside for garnish)
· 1 Tsp gluten-free djion mustard
· 1 egg
· sea salt & pepper to taste
· 6 oz cooked wild salmon, mashed up
· 1 Tsp coconut flour (optional, I didn’t use any and they were tricky to handle but I’d still re-make them this way again)
· 1/4c coconut oil for pan-frying (quantity may vary based on pan size)
· Juice & zest from 1/2 of a lemon for garnish
« Pre-heat a small cast iron skilled with coconut oil melted in approximately 1/8-1/4″ deep.
« Break cooked salmon into chunk sized pieces and add to bowl. Combine celery, red onion, capers, lemon juice, olive oil, fresh dill in a separate dish. Gently add the dressing mixture into the bowl of salmon, mixing just enough so all pieces are coated. Add a sprinkling of salt and ground pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to cool and to allow the flavors to blend.
« Serve with a slice of lemon. Serves 4.
« For best results, do not over-cook your salmon!