Normally I am in the camp that soup on its own is not a meal. I am a texture girl-- something needs to crunch. And while soup is delicious, it is a little too liquid. But if you have been following me on Instagram you’ve seen that I have been following I.AM.YOU. Studio’s Detox to Retox program, which they so graciously sent me to try. (A post with a full review of the program will be coming soon!) Yesterday’s meal plan called for veggie soup as part of lunch, so I threw together what I had in the refrigerator and the pantry and this super filling veggie soup was born. While more like a stew than a soup, it was beyond delicious, even without my beloved crunch!
Ingredients: (All Organic)
A collection of vegetables- I used:
1 Sweet Potato
4 Yellow Potatoes
½ Bunch Kale
4 Large Carrots
2 Yellow Onions
White Button Mushrooms
½ Bunch Flat Leaf Parsely + extra for garnish
6 Cloves Garlic
3 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Thyme
2 tsp. Tarragon Leaf
1 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Prep your vegetables by washing, peeling, then chopping everything into chunks.
2. Preheat a large saucepan and add olive oil, wait until oil ‘shimmers’ then add the sweet potato, yellow potatoes, garlic cloves, and onions. Toss with olive oil and let brown about 5 minutes.
3. Add paprika, thyme, tarragon, and black pepper. Toss.
4. Add carrots, parsley (leaves only), kale, and enough water to cover the vegetables by at least an inch.
5. Bring to a boil then let simmer.
6. After about 15 minutes add mushrooms and let simmer 10 more or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
7. Garnish with extra parsley and serve hot.
Tinkerbelle and Kiwi Are Intrigued
I love thrown together creations that turn out great. What has been your favorite cooking-on-a-whim dish? Let me know in the comments below